Have Some Water

Saturday, August 20, 2005

some thoughts from James

I'm not sure where I picked these up--just found a scrap of paper in my "To File Someday" pile, with these notes scribbled on it:

"Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded." (James 4: 8)
--> Quit dabbling in sin!

"Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you." (James 4: 9-10)
--> This is about true repentance. Get serious, get down on your knees, and ask your Lord and King, Jesus, for the forgiveness of your sins, your debt against him.

"My brothers, if anyone among you wanders from the truth and someone brings him back, let him know that whoever brings back a sinner from his wandering will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins." (James 5: 19-20)

--> If you know of someone who has wandered away from God, don't write him off!!!

2 Comments:

  • Wonderful thoughts, Court. I think James is one of the best books in the New Testament because it is very practical and encouraging. People who don't know anything about God or the Bible should start to study with that because it's easy to understand and includes all of the basics that one must know.
    Especially the third point you mentioned about people who wandered away from God is something that I always struggle with. The question is "How much am I supposed to do to bring people back to God without forcing them?" because that can make things even worse.
    Hopefully we'll be able to let our "light" always shine in front of everybody else.
    Love ya

    By Blogger Leenda, at September 05, 2005 4:40 PM  

  • Leenda, sorry for my slow response! I didn't even realize until yesterday that anyone had left a comment here! Thanks for giving me feedback. :o)

    That's a difficult question you ask, and I think that part of the reason it's difficult is that the answer is different depending on the people you're dealing with. I can go so far with one person without making them feel like I'm forcing them....but with another person, I can't go that far and have to treat them with more sensitivity.

    I think it's like what we read in the book we've been studying for Thursday Hauskreis: I just have to get to know someone well enough to love them deeply and know what *they* need, instead of focusing on what *I* want to tell them. I also remind myself more and more of Isaiah 55:10-11, where God tells us that his word always produes the results that please him. Maybe I won't see the results that I would like to see....but God's word will still have the effect that he determines it should have.

    Love you too, Leenda! Thanks for always challenging me to think a step further! {{{{hugs!!!}}}}

    By Blogger thegermanygirl, at October 13, 2005 12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home